yal asmar ellon (satb)
- Catalog ID: S-397
- First Line: hey beautiful dark one! my heart is tired...
- Composer: Edward Torikian
- Voicing: satb (unaccompanied chorus)
- Accompaniment: a cappella
- Language: Arabic
- Country: Syria
- Series: Salamu Aleikum: Music Of The Muslim World
- Other: salamu aleikum 2014
- Score: View Score
- Sound: Listen
Yal asmar ellon is a popular traditional song from Aleppo in northern Syria. It is part of the repertoire of songs called al qudud. This song originated in the 19th century.
Yal asmar ellon has been transmitted orally, which accounts for its melodic and textual variations. As in other Arab song traditions, the singer adresses his beloved discreetly using the male pronoun. The melody is in the hijaz mode, similar to the Western harmonic minor scale.
The sound recording is by the Fayha Choir conducted by Maestro Barkev Taslakian. We are grateful for the choir’s permission to use the clip.